Are you one of those guys who can’t believe that so much time and trouble is spent on picking the right brush for a grill grate? If that’s your reaction, then you’re the person for whom this Weber 6493 21-Inch 3-Sided Grill Brush was designed. This is a no-frills grill brush with a traditional design and it’s yours at very little cost.
Features of Weber 6493 21-Inch 3-Sided Grill Brush
This is pretty much your basic grill brush model with stainless steel bristles. You start with a hard plastic handle with a cord at the end so you can just hang it on the side of the grill when you’re not using it.
It then continues on straight with woven wires to form the stem of the grill brush. It’s actually 21 inches long, which is the main difference from the traditionally short brush. It used to also be a tradition that you risked burning your hands on the hot grill, so it’s one tradition that you’ll probably be glad to abandon with this longer brush.
Then at the end there’s a triangle of the woven wire with the base of the triangle featuring the stainless-steel bristles. That’s it—it’s simple and a classic design which for many still works.
Of course, in many ways it’s much better than traditional grill brushes. For one, you don’t want to use the older stainless steel grill brushes because they invariably damaged the porcelain coating of some cast iron grills. But this one doesn’t do that at all as Weber expressly recommends this for such grates.
It’s also very well built so that it won’t break easily even if you push hard to get rid of the grime from the grate. The bristles are also well-fixed in its place so that it’s not really likely to shred and then drop into your food.
You do still need to check that the bridles are secure (you can use gentle pressure with a pair of tweezers), but there’s really not much chance of that happening.
It’s also very affordable because frankly, this is a basic design. There’s nothing to learn and no fancy instructions to heed. It’s a very tough brush that you can leave out even during the snowy winter season.
So, let’s tally all the good things about this Weber 6493 Grill Brush:
- It’s very simple to use and there’s nothing new to learn or figure out. You just run it through the grill at an angle you’re comfy with and exert some force for the more stubborn grime. There’s nothing to it really.
- It’s simple but it also works. That’s the beauty of this proven design. It’s still used today because it just works, period. It gets rid of the grime on your grate easily enough.
- It can also be used for even fragile cast iron grills with porcelain coating. It won’t cause any flaking, gauging, or whatever damage to the coating you may be worried about. That’s even after 50 or so uses on the same grate.
- Cleaning the brush isn’t a problem at all. If you notice any dirt or grime on it just put it in your dishwasher and you end up with it looking good. If you don’t have a dishwasher, you can just soak it in warm water with a bit of soap for a few minutes and the grime should flake right off.
- The bristles are generally very secure in place though you should check them every time before you use them.
- The 21-inch length is nice and far enough from the hot grill. It’s also not too long so that you can also wield this with feeling awkward. You can use any angle you want.
- The handle is also nicely ergonomic and you can have a good grip to use. You can also use two hands on the handle if you need to.
- It’s very durable and some people have been using the same brush for years.
- It’s so cheap that when you’re done with it (or a neighbor “borrows” it without asking or without planning to return it), you don’t really feel bad about buying a new one. It’s also a very affordable gift that others will appreciate (if they have a grill, that is).
There are some issues that should be addressed, however.
- First of all, Weber is a very popular brand so it’s not uncommon to find fakes. You have to make sure that you’re not buying anything counterfeit.
- With just one line of bristles it can take a while to clean a grate.
- There’s really no easily obtainable warranty information.
This is for the “no hassle” crowd who want a grill brush that’s easy to use, long lasting, and easy on the budget. It’s the very essence of the Weber 6493 21-Inch 3-Sided Grill Brush.